Monday, January 11, 2010

Squats

Every week I incorporate this great movement. There are four different types of squats: Overhead, front, high bar back, and low bar back. Each one is going to offer a great building of the posterior chain. I have a weaker core and leg strength so I rotate each week between front squat and high bar back squats. Today I am going to be working on my front squat. This typically is a lower weight then a back squat because it incorporates more leg and core strength to perform the movement. This is because the weight is in front of you and wants to pull you forward. For example, I work back squat 3x5 with 255lbs. and front squat with 190lbs. The goal is to make this gap much smaller. Tim Favreau from www.hybridfitness.blogspot.com makes the statement "I don't like doing a lot of heavy squats therefore I do a lot of heavy squats." This is the mentality that must be adopted in order to make strong what is weak.

What I like about Mark Rippetoe is the fact that he uses absolutes in his teaching instruction. The way he instructs the squat is a universal truth that can not be argued. This is not his opinion on how he thinks the squat should be performed or how the body geometry should be; it is how it is.




What the Girls did:
1 pull up
2 push ups
3 body squats
Max Rounds in 12 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Ask yourself this question, "Why should I Perform the high bar back squat if I'm already doing front squats?" Only 1 squat variation you listed will develop the posterior chain equally with the anterior chain, which one?

    ReplyDelete