Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Learning

This week has taught me more then the last year of lifting. I accredit this to the blog and focusing on putting out the truth. Throughout this week I have been asked questions that I did not know the answer too. No matter how hard I searched the great internet it had no answer for me. I dedicated an entire day to answer a simple question posted by Tim Favreau about the four squat variations that I listed on squat day. "Only 1 squat variation you listed will develop the posterior chain equally with the anterior chain, which one?" The biggest part of the question that took me by surprise was the anterior chain. It is pretty rare, in my experience, to come across information of the anterior with barbell training. Almost everyone will address the posterior chain with barbell training but not the anterior. After that was taken in, I could not find any information of what squat addressed the two chains evenly. Evenly was the key word here. Your leg and its muscles are going to be used in each lift but which lift had an EVEN amount of work involved. This was the hard part. After many cups of coffee and pulling my hair out I came to the conclusion that it was the Front Squat. WRONG!!, "Try again" (Favre) I surrendered after that. He was gracious enough to educate me on the Low Bar Back Squat. "Squatting with a low bar position through an entire range of motion will work the entire leg and hip musculature. This is important." (Favre) Good education on lifting is not cheap and does not come easy. When valuable nuggets like this one come across your path you hold onto them and run with it. I am going to dive into the book and DVD "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. I highly recommend anyone who is serious about building knowledge as well as strength to do the same. One without the other will lead you down a path that will be unfulfilling to true strength.

width="425" height="344">


What the Girls did:
Team workout.
One team member did 10 5lbs. dumbbell thrusters while the other was in the Push Up Plank position. When one team member was done with thrusters they would switch. Continue this untill 5 full rounds are completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment