Friday, January 15, 2010

Low Bar Squat

"The squat has been the most important yet most poorly understood exercise in the training arsenal for a very long time. The full range of motion exercise known as the squat is the single most useful exercise in the weight room, and our most valuable tool for building strength, power, and size." (Rippetoe, Kilgore, 2007)

Ah, two squat days in one week. 90 percent of my programing comes from Favre. There are some things that I do not do such as Bench Press, or some of the running that he programs. The running is because it is too cold outside and the bench, because I do not own one. It also has to do with what your personal goal is. My goal is to deadlift a max rep of 400lbs., build my Squat to working sets of 300lbs., and 200lbs. Power Cleans. I do not fully understand the method to Favre's madness therefore I follow his training while I continue to educate myself. After submitting a video of Front Squats that I was working on he gave me some pointers.

This was the worst of the 3 that I sent him. My hips are not even parallel to my knees. The Squat is defined as hips below parallel of the knee.


This is the proper depth of any squat that you perform. Just to show how high my squat was to Favre's, look at the distance from the butt to the heals and compare the two.


If you have any confusion, this will paint a better picture.


What I did today:
Squat 5x3
Press 5x3
Pull-ups 3 sets of max reps

No comments:

Post a Comment