Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Personal Training

I am officially a Nationally Certified Personal Trainer through International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA). I planned on taking out a good 3 to 4 months of studying for the final but my motivation pushed me to complete it in 7 days. This is the power of motivation. When you combine that with your passion the sky is the limit. I woke up about 7 each day and had my nose in the book till about 9 that night. I have officially had an information overload but pulled out a 93% on the final. After testing for 12 hours in an open book test my brain was gone. I dreamed that night that I made a 23%, it was horrible. The next morning I received the good news. Anybody that is serious about become a quality certified personal trainer I would definitely recommend going through ISSA. It teaches the body on a cellular level, how we create movement, anatomy, how to handle injury, kinesiology, nutrition, body fat calculations, and a lot more. What they lacked in was the actual biomechanics of basic movements that every trainer should know. For example, squat, press, bench, and deadlift. These are the primary barbell movements that every trainer should have an in depth knowledge about and how to train them. There is no test at the end of it but if you want to be a better trainer read Mark Rippetoe's books "Starting Strength" and "Practical Programing"; and if you have the opportunity, go to one of his seminars. At the least look up his educational videos on YouTube or buy them as a part of this "Starting Strength" book combo. Lacking in either book or biomechanics knowledge will always leave the trainee out to suffer and ultimately tarnish your name as a trainer.

Yesterday July 26th

What the girls did:

Squat 5x3
then
5 pull ups
10 push ups
5 bent rows
10 push press
3 rounds for time

Today July 27th:

Press 5x3
then
Run 400 meters
15 Body Squats
4 rounds for time

Body weight 116lbs Clean and Jerk 231.48 lbs. Increadible. I love finding example like this to show that women do not turn into men when they get stronger. Each female trainee that I have train Squat, Press, and Deadlift with low reps high weight then paired with conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment