Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Achieving Goals

These last two weeks have been outstanding. I reached a long term goal of deadlifting 405lbs and ended up doing it 3 times. I am also back up to squatting 280lbs. 3 sets 5 reps after having a hip flexor issue. I'm feeling very solid and can see 315lbs. right around the corner. I increased my squat by 55lbs. very fast. This put a pressure on me to continue increasing my lifts at this same speed. I had to remind myself why I was lifting and it took the pressure back off. I am not competing or training to compete in anything. This is something that I would like to change in the future but for right now there is no need for me to push my limits to the point of my body shutting down, mentally and physically. So take a step back and remind yourself why you are lifting in the first place.

In the last month I have taken on learning Olympic Lifts. This is a pain in my ass to learn by myself. The video camera is my friend. I am pretty positive that I am developing bad habits, but I am not really too worried about it right now. Clearly my goal is not to have bad form with the Clean & Jerk or the Snatch but I am using very light weight and doing my best to analyze form. If anyone has any coaching tips or good book suggestions suggestions I would appreciate it.

I had talked about Wright Exercise a couple posts ago. I had an issue with the 10lbs. bumper plates with the steel insert coming lose from the rubber. I was practicing Snatch technique with just 10's on each side and dropping them from overhead. This was not a weight that demanded it to be dropped but I wanted to get use to the idea of dropping weight since this is new to me. Well they ended up breaking the seal between the steal insert and the rubber. So I called Wright, told them the issue, they mailed me off a new pair over night, no big deal. Really great service and would recommend them to anyone. The great part about this story is that I talked to two different employees because the first one did not respond to my email. I ended up emailing the same person again to make sure he had gotten my information and see if he had already shipped the new plates. He had gone on vacation and an auto reply message directed me to his associate. I forwarded this person the same email I gave the original employee and he said that he would send them off right away. A couple hours after all this emailing was going on I receive a package in the mail, it was the plates. I thought there was no way he sent the plates same day and figured that the original employee had sent the plates before he went on vacation and the other guy would catch this if he hadn't already. I was wrong and the second employee sent me another pair that I receive the next day. Being the guy that I am, I called Wright and told them about the mistake and they apologized (not really sure why, I'll take free equipment any day) and told me to keep them, it was there mistake.

As far as quality is concerned, the 10lbs. bumpers from Wright might not be the best to drop from overhead but they will replace them with no problem, and if you're lucky they will send you a couple pair. The 45 and 25lbs plates work very well, no issue there. All together great company, great product!!



Really nice Gym!! Wish I had a facility close by that had a nice set up like this...... OH wait I do!! At Suck University where they wont let you drop the weight, or use chalk, or throw out a man growl when its necessary!! Way to suck Suck University!!

No comments:

Post a Comment