Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Why?

Remember a couple of posts ago when I was talking about the local University...... yeah they suck. Let me tell you how the conversation went. Me: Hi, I was wondering about membership, Manager: What would you like to know, Me: I visited the other day and saw that you have a great facility for working olympic lifts. I wanted to know if I became a member if I could use your equipment the way that it is supposed to me used. Manager: Well that's kind of a loaded question. Me: What I am asking is if I became a member could I use your bumper plates, lifting platforms, and York bars to drop the weight after I finish a lift. Manager: I don't allow dropping of weights in the gym. Me: So if I came to work a clean and jerk I couldn't drop the weight on the platforms designed for dropping with the bumper plates designed for dropping? Manager: Right, if you have to drop the weight we will come ask you to please lower the amount you are lifting.

There are only 2 facilities in my area that have the right equipment to work olympic lifts. One is the University(they suck), and two is a local Crossfit gym that would be sweet to work on lifts there but would ultimately break the bank. So what is the solution. BUILD YOUR OWN GYM!! Right now I'm in the process of building an 8'x8' lifting platform. Cost will be about 120$ but will last a very long time for a minimal amount of money. I am fortunate enough to live very close to Birmingham, AL where Wright Exercise is located and has outstanding bumper plates with steel inserts for a very good price.

Say you want to become a member at a gym because It's just gonna be too much money to build your own. Lets look at the facts. In my area the going rate for membership (that will ultimately limit you (no chalk, yelling, dropping, etc.) is about 50$ and require a year contract. This comes to 600$. What can you buy with that? As we all know Playitagainsports is the bees knees when it comes to home gym building. I picked up my 300lbs. set of olympic weights and bar for 80$. Lifting platform will run about 120$ (homemade, designs are all over the internet). Squat stands 20$ (homemade). Pull up bar 45$ (homemade). Bumper plates and a nice bar is where the money is gonna be sucked out. At Wright Exercise I can pick up, in pairs: 45, 25, 10 for 192$. If I went with there Wright HD bar it would tack on 255$. Total: 712$, this is with the nice bar that a beginner will not necessarily need, it would just be nice. If you take that off it would bring it to 457$. The only other reason why a person would not rock this amazing buildityourself game plan is space. If this is the problem then.... sorry. Have fun with the faggles at Suck University.

No comments:

Post a Comment