Monday, October 11, 2010

Being Busy Is No Excuse

First I want to say sorry for taking so long to post. I'm sure everyone loved looking at the pictures of those two beautiful male entities for so long!! I've had a very busy last couple months. I got a job after being unemployed for 13 months that has taken some adjusting. Fortunately I started Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program at the same time. Reading through his book helped me to better understand the life long lifting mentality that has been beaten into me ever since I meet Tim Favreau. Wendler's program focuses on the primary barbell movements :Squat, Press, Deadlift, and Bench. If you have time after those are accomplished then work on accessory movements supporting the big movements. It's that simple. Sometimes I work accessory stuff or nothing or something that has nothing to do with the movements. Depends on what mood I'm in. The point is, when life gets tough and schedules are overwhelming don't neglect the gym; make it work for you. This takes evaluating your goals to do successfully. For example, I have a goal of squatting 350 in sets. In a stress free, wide open schedule I would work my squats then work a conditioning set up that would focus on my core, quads, and hammies lasting approximately 10 to 15 minutes long. This would take my time in the gym from about 35 minutes or so to about an hour or so. When time is hard to find you have to evaluate your goals. My goal is to squat 350lbs. The best way to get my squat numbers up is to squat. The accessory work is great but when time is tight what should you cut..... the primary movement that is going to get you to your goal or the accessory work that is supplemental to the goal? This understanding with the life long lifting mentality is going to make a stressful, lack of time schedule seem not so bad. Just get in, get it done, and get out. 35ish minutes later you're done, stronger, and still on the road to achieving your goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment